About Me

My photo
Atlanta, GA, United States
When I suffered a lip injury that ended my career as a classical trombonist, I thought my life as a musician was finished, but I fell in love with music all over again when Santa gave me a guitar for Christmas in 2003. Even as I was struggling with my first chords, I was planning a new performance career. As a trombonist, I performed with the Heritage of America Band at Langley Air Force Base, the Ohio Light Opera, and in pick-up bands for touring acts that included Rosemary Clooney, George Burns, and the Manhattan Transfer. Reborn as a jazz guitarist, I sing and play my own solo arrangements of jazz classics, am half of the Godfrey and Guy duo, and hold the guitar chair in the Sentimental Journey Orchestra. I have been a freelance music copyist since 1995, served as Director of Music at Northwest Unitarian Universalist Congregation from 2011 to 2017, and currently serve as Contemporary Band Director at the same congregation.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Losing It #7: Halfway Home

I've lost 60 pounds since April 11, when I decided to lose weight once and for all. I still have 60 pounds to go before I reach my target weight of 200 pounds. The way things are going, I'm on target to reach my goal sometime in December. When I bit the bullet on April 11 and stepped on the scale for the first time in years, I was dearly hoping I wouldn't weigh over 300 pounds. My heart sank when I saw that I weighed 323. That was not a fun moment, but sometimes it's best to look truth in the face and just deal with it.

Many good things have happened since I started walking and watching my diet: a shrinking waistline, compliments from my friends, improved physical fitness, less pain in my knees, and greater self confidence. I've also noticed that others seem to be encouraged by my efforts. Many of my friends have either started or renewed their own exercise programs. It's a good feeling not only to be losing weight for myself, but also to know that I'm helping to motivate others to do the same. My story may help inspire others to exercise, but they in turn keep me motivated.

I wish I could play the martyr and write about how difficult this process has been for me, but to be honest, it hasn't been difficult at all. That's not to say that it's easy as pie (mmm…pie). Once I honestly and truly made the decision to lose weight, the rest fell into place. I'm an analytical person. To me, the process of losing weight is a numbers game. As long as I'm burning more calories than I consume, I'm losing weight.

The trick to weight loss is to make it a routine instead of something "special" that you have to endure until you've hit your target weight. I don't do anything crazy. I walk every morning for an hour. I restrict my calories but don't starve myself, and I avoid sugar. I don't keep junk food at home. I weigh myself every Sunday morning to monitor my progress. It's pretty simple. Once I've reached the 200 pound weight, I'll keep this routine. The only difference is that I'll be able to eat a bigger dinner and occasionally splurge on a treat…but I'll never again keep junk food in the house!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations. Keep at it. I know you will make your goal and feel so much better. -G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Way to go Tom. It has been about 4 week since my life's alteration. I'll take the suggestion to burn more calories than I intake. Keep it up and congrats on your accomplishments. RB

    ReplyDelete