About Me

My photo
Atlanta, GA, United States
When I suffered a lip injury that ended my career as a classical trombonist, I thought my life as a musician was finished, but I fell in love with music all over again when Santa gave me a guitar for Christmas in 2003. Even as I was struggling with my first chords, I was planning a new performance career. As a trombonist, I performed with the Heritage of America Band at Langley Air Force Base, the Ohio Light Opera, and in pick-up bands for touring acts that included Rosemary Clooney, George Burns, and the Manhattan Transfer. Reborn as a jazz guitarist, I sing and play my own solo arrangements of jazz classics, am half of the Godfrey and Guy duo, and hold the guitar chair in the Sentimental Journey Orchestra. I have been a freelance music copyist since 1995, served as Director of Music at Northwest Unitarian Universalist Congregation from 2011 to 2017, and currently serve as Contemporary Band Director at the same congregation.

Friday, March 30, 2012

Lasts and Firsts

This has been a stressful week. I'm gearing up for a move, which is stressful enough. On top of that, my work schedule has been busier than usual, I've had to complete some rush music engraving jobs, and I have a show tomorrow night (the night before my move-in date).

I was stressed out at the beginning of the week, but I've since mellowed. I finished the last of my rush jobs this morning, I only have a few more things to pack, and I'm ready for my show. I'll pack up my office equipment tomorrow afternoon, play my gig in the evening, and then I'll be ready for the movers on Sunday.

This has been a week of "lasts"…the last laundry day in the old place, the last practice session, the last workout, the last nap, the last breakfast. These are all little things, but each "last" moves me closer to the big move-in day. Even as I look forward to living in the new apartment and setting up a home teaching studio, I'm savoring all of the "lasts."

And, of course, I'm looking forward to the "firsts"…the first laundry day, the first walk in the new neighborhood, the first practice session. Once the studio is set up, I'll look forward to my first rehearsal, teaching my first new student, and writing my first song in the new digs.

Here are photos of some empty rooms that will soon be filled with music.

This will be my teaching studio and music engraving office.
My guitars, amps, and keyboard will live here.
Plenty of storage in the garage, plus a
washer/dryer. I'll move most of these boxes
upstairs after the furniture is in place. I'll keep a
lot of musical equipment down here for
an easy load-in before gigs.

The bedroom/workout area. Not much will go in here.
Just a bed, a dresser, and a stationary bike.
Yet more storage. I actually have a place to store
my bicycle without tripping over it!
My dad made that tiny wooden chair for me
when I was 5 or 6. I'll use this cute little chair
for very young students.
























I love this deck! I definitely need to get some
deck furniture. Perfect for outdoor guitar picking.
Parents may want to wait out here when the weather's nice.
The parents' waiting room. I'll also fill this room
with books and will eventually add a pull-out
love seat for house guests.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Tom, it's absolutely gorgeous! I'm so happy for you. The deck is a big plus as well. Enjoy! You deserve it. :)

    ReplyDelete