About Me

My photo
Atlanta, GA, United States
When I suffered a lip injury that ended my career as a classical trombonist, I thought my life as a musician was finished, but I fell in love with music all over again when Santa gave me a guitar for Christmas in 2003. Even as I was struggling with my first chords, I was planning a new performance career. As a trombonist, I performed with the Heritage of America Band at Langley Air Force Base, the Ohio Light Opera, and in pick-up bands for touring acts that included Rosemary Clooney, George Burns, and the Manhattan Transfer. Reborn as a jazz guitarist, I sing and play my own solo arrangements of jazz classics, am half of the Godfrey and Guy duo, and hold the guitar chair in the Sentimental Journey Orchestra. I have been a freelance music copyist since 1995, served as Director of Music at Northwest Unitarian Universalist Congregation from 2011 to 2017, and currently serve as Contemporary Band Director at the same congregation.

Friday, October 12, 2012

Stone Mountain Pics


Until my recent move, walking was my main form of exercise. My new neighborhood isn't as friendly for walking as Winnona Park near downtown Decatur, GA, so most of my workouts are spent planted on a stationary bike while watching NetFlix. I much prefer getting outside to exercise, so it's a treat when I have a free day and can head over to my favorite hiking spot, Stone Mountain. The most popular trail is the Walkup Trail, which as you might guess, takes you straight up the mountain. The Walkup Trail is just over a mile. It starts out pretty easy at first, but the higher you go, the steeper it gets.

As popular as the Walkup Trail is, I'm surprised more people don't walk the other trails surrounding Stone Mountain. According to the brochure, there are about 15 miles of trails in the park, and while they don't all present the physical challenge of a steep, uphill mile, there are enough ups and downs to get your heart pumping and muscles working.

My favorite route is a 5 mile loop around Stone Mountain. I hiked 15 miles today and took pictures from my favorite parts of my favorite trails.

The start of the trail doesn't
look like much of a trail.
So you have to follow the
orange hash marks.
Into the woods after a quarter
mile of following the dotted line.
On an earlier walk, this deer tolerated me
long enough to pose for a photo.
My favorite water crossing. I find this
spot very peaceful.
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood.
I took the white one.

I saw several ducks today.
Here are four of them.


Ah, water. I could be happy with just a
cabin and a canoe. Oh, and a paddle.
Covered bridge.

Some useful information about covered
bridges. Watch out for robbers!
No robbers here.
The water wheel. Another of my
favorite spots.
Close up of the water wheel.
Near the Labyrinth.
On a hot summer day, this shallow spot
is usually filled with splashing children.
This section always reminds me of the
hobbits walking out of The Shire.
I am a nerd.
Met a box turtle today.
I never thought of climbing the mountain
in this area until I saw this sign.
Fire and dry leaves. What could go wrong?
Actually, there was a minor fire today!





Not something you see every day
on the trail.
A most glorious sight after a long hike:
the public restrooms!


















1 comment: