About Me

My photo
Atlanta, GA, United States
When I suffered a lip injury that ended my career as a classical trombonist, I thought my life as a musician was finished, but I fell in love with music all over again when Santa gave me a guitar for Christmas in 2003. Even as I was struggling with my first chords, I was planning a new performance career. As a trombonist, I performed with the Heritage of America Band at Langley Air Force Base, the Ohio Light Opera, and in pick-up bands for touring acts that included Rosemary Clooney, George Burns, and the Manhattan Transfer. Reborn as a jazz guitarist, I sing and play my own solo arrangements of jazz classics, am half of the Godfrey and Guy duo, and hold the guitar chair in the Sentimental Journey Orchestra. I have been a freelance music copyist since 1995, served as Director of Music at Northwest Unitarian Universalist Congregation from 2011 to 2017, and currently serve as Contemporary Band Director at the same congregation.

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Stay Well!

It seems that this is an especially bad flu season. Half my students have had to cancel, and some of my choir singers are sick. My own guitar teacher is sick, too, and we've had to reschedule my lesson for next week. I feel fortunate that I haven't caught the flu this season (knock on wood). I caught a cold a couple months ago, but that's all. Maybe that mild cold helped me build up some immunity to the flu virus that's going around. That's my theory, anyway. All I know is that I haven't caught the flu, and I'm thankful that my sick choir members and students elected to stay home.

With the unusual amount of lesson cancellations, my bank account may be dented, but I'm glad to have my health!

The following flu prevention tips are straight from the CDC website at http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/preventing.htm.

  • Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
  • If you are sick with flu-like illness, CDC recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities.
  • While sick, limit contact with others as much as possible.
  • Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based rub.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
  • Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs like the flu.

No comments:

Post a Comment