About Me

My photo
Atlanta, GA, United States
When I suffered a lip injury that ended my career as a classical trombonist, I thought my life as a musician was finished, but I fell in love with music all over again when Santa gave me a guitar for Christmas in 2003. Even as I was struggling with my first chords, I was planning a new performance career. As a trombonist, I performed with the Heritage of America Band at Langley Air Force Base, the Ohio Light Opera, and in pick-up bands for touring acts that included Rosemary Clooney, George Burns, and the Manhattan Transfer. Reborn as a jazz guitarist, I sing and play my own solo arrangements of jazz classics, am half of the Godfrey and Guy duo, and hold the guitar chair in the Sentimental Journey Orchestra. I have been a freelance music copyist since 1995 and have been music director at Northwest Unitarian Universalist Congregation since 2011.

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Appreciating Normalcy

After a great experience at my UUMN conference, I'm finally settling into a normal routine back in Atlanta. I loved the conference, and now I'm learning to appreciate normalcy. I don't exactly lead a normal life. There's no 9 to 5 in my schedule. Each day offers something different, but overall, my typical week has a certain ebb and flow of music engraving, practicing, students, church work, and gigs.

Before the conference, I was beginning to feel a little burned out and bored. Now that I've dropped from the conference back into my everyday life, I very happy to get back to business as usual…only it's not exactly business as usual. My job at NWUUC is expanding, I have new professional contacts and new friends, and I'm excited about the future again.

No comments:

Post a Comment