About Me

My photo
Atlanta, GA, United States
When I suffered a lip injury that ended my career as a classical trombonist, I thought my life as a musician was finished, but I fell in love with music all over again when Santa gave me a guitar for Christmas in 2003. Even as I was struggling with my first chords, I was planning a new performance career. As a trombonist, I performed with the Heritage of America Band at Langley Air Force Base, the Ohio Light Opera, and in pick-up bands for touring acts that included Rosemary Clooney, George Burns, and the Manhattan Transfer. Reborn as a jazz guitarist, I sing and play my own solo arrangements of jazz classics, am half of the Godfrey and Guy duo, and hold the guitar chair in the Sentimental Journey Orchestra. I have been a freelance music copyist since 1995 and have been music director at Northwest Unitarian Universalist Congregation since 2011.

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Unexpected Concert

A beautiful thing happened on the way to my guitar lesson. I drove into a parking garage near the Rialto Center. As I was walking out, a man from the office in the parking garage saw my Taylor guitar case and started asking questions. It was pretty obvious from his questions that he knew a thing or two about guitars. He asked if he could play it. I had plenty of time before my lesson, so I said, sure. I expected maybe a few C and G chords, but he launched into a really terrific arrangement of Satin Doll. He sounded great! You just never know when another guitar player is going to pop out of the woodwork. It was such a special moment to be treated to a mini-concert in a downtown Atlanta parking garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment