About Me

My photo
Atlanta, GA, United States
When I suffered a lip injury that ended my career as a classical trombonist, I thought my life as a musician was finished, but I fell in love with music all over again when Santa gave me a guitar for Christmas in 2003. Even as I was struggling with my first chords, I was planning a new performance career. As a trombonist, I performed with the Heritage of America Band at Langley Air Force Base, the Ohio Light Opera, and in pick-up bands for touring acts that included Rosemary Clooney, George Burns, and the Manhattan Transfer. Reborn as a jazz guitarist, I sing and play my own solo arrangements of jazz classics, am half of the Godfrey and Guy duo, and hold the guitar chair in the Sentimental Journey Orchestra. I have been a freelance music copyist since 1995, served as Director of Music at Northwest Unitarian Universalist Congregation from 2011 to 2017, and currently serve as Contemporary Band Director at the same congregation.

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Traveler Acoustic

I bought another guitar a couple weeks ago. Here's my excuse this time: I'm going to a conference in San Diego next month, and I wanted a guitar that is small enough to take on the plane without any hassles. I bought a travel guitar. To be more specific, I bought the Traveler Acoustic AG-105 EQ.

Traveler Guitar makes a variety of travel sized guitars, both electrics and acoustics. I liked the idea of an acoustic for the simplicity of not having to plug it in to practice. Plus, I simply prefer acoustic over electric sounds these days.

In the photo, I put the Traveler next to my Taylor for comparison. One thing I love about the Traveler is that it has a full scale, 25.5" neck. Even though it doesn't have a cutaway like the Taylor, I can more easily reach higher notes on the Traveler. You can't see it very well in the photo, but the tuners are on the end of the strings by the body of the guitar. It also has a pick-up, so I could plug in and use it as back-up guitar if the need arose. The Traveler's tone is decent, but with such a small body, the guitar lacks a depth of sound. It doesn't even compare to the Taylor, which has the most beautiful sound of any guitar I've owned, including a gorgeous Heritage 575 that I still play.

But I didn't buy the Travel for the tone. I bought it for portability. I'll be taking it to the UUMN conference in July, and it'll replace the guitar I currently use for teaching. And the Travel has one thing the Taylor doesn't: a strap on the end so you can hang it on a hook. Bonus points for cuteness.

No comments:

Post a Comment