About Me

My photo
Atlanta, GA, United States
When I suffered a lip injury that ended my career as a classical trombonist, I thought my life as a musician was finished, but I fell in love with music all over again when Santa gave me a guitar for Christmas in 2003. Even as I was struggling with my first chords, I was planning a new performance career. As a trombonist, I performed with the Heritage of America Band at Langley Air Force Base, the Ohio Light Opera, and in pick-up bands for touring acts that included Rosemary Clooney, George Burns, and the Manhattan Transfer. Reborn as a jazz guitarist, I sing and play my own solo arrangements of jazz classics, am half of the Godfrey and Guy duo, and hold the guitar chair in the Sentimental Journey Orchestra. I have been a freelance music copyist since 1995, served as Director of Music at Northwest Unitarian Universalist Congregation from 2011 to 2017, and currently serve as Contemporary Band Director at the same congregation.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

2018 Goals

I'm not much for holidays, but I do like New Year. It's an opportunity to reflect on what the old year has brought and give some direction for the upcoming year.

I have three main goals for the year.

Weigh 190-195
This seems to be my perennial goal. I've never quite made it, but I'm getting closer. I think I'll be pretty close to this weight by the time I move to Albuquerque in June. Once I'm there, I plan on taking hikes in the mountains and desert, which certainly will help with weight control.

Memorize 120 Solo Songs
Over the past couple years, I've memorized a lot of music, but it's almost all been Godfrey and Guy. Once I've moved to Albuquerque, I'll be gigging as a soloist more often, so it's time to turn my attention to memorizing my solo repertoire. I've memorized around sixty of my own songs, so I have another sixty to go. That's a lot of songs to memorize, but the majority of them will be songs that I perform with Godfrey and Guy, so I'll already be familiar with them. I'll just need to change keys to fit my vocal range.

Record a Solo CD
Again, I'll be going solo in another six months. I will be recording some solo demos this month to update my demo recordings, particularly guitar instrumentals. I suppose that could kinda sorta count as a solo CD, but I'd like to record a solo album later in the year. I've been writing more music lately. It would be a lot of fun to connect with some good musicians in Albuquerque and record a CD of original music.

There you have it: goals for 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment