About Me

My photo
Atlanta, GA, United States
When I suffered a lip injury that ended my career as a classical trombonist, I thought my life as a musician was finished, but I fell in love with music all over again when Santa gave me a guitar for Christmas in 2003. Even as I was struggling with my first chords, I was planning a new performance career. As a trombonist, I performed with the Heritage of America Band at Langley Air Force Base, the Ohio Light Opera, and in pick-up bands for touring acts that included Rosemary Clooney, George Burns, and the Manhattan Transfer. Reborn as a jazz guitarist, I sing and play my own solo arrangements of jazz classics, am half of the Godfrey and Guy duo, and hold the guitar chair in the Sentimental Journey Orchestra. I have been a freelance music copyist since 1995, served as Director of Music at Northwest Unitarian Universalist Congregation from 2011 to 2017, and currently serve as Contemporary Band Director at the same congregation.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Surplus

Ever since I decided to restart a music career, I've been poor. This is no exaggeration. I had to move out of the house that my ex and I had been renting and move into a small basement apartment. The rent was low, and utilities were included. Even so, I was sometimes late on my rent. Fortunately, I had a terrific landlady who was understanding. (She is a musician, and both her son and daughter are musicians, so she was sympathetic.) I've been able to pay my bills, but sometimes my checking account was literally in the single digits when the smoke cleared.

Lately, it seems that I've turned a corner. For the past three months, I've had money left over after paying my monthly bills and rent for my new apartment. Maybe I don't have enough left over to buy a house or that yacht that I've had my eye on, but I'm not so worried about the next round of bills. As a matter of fact, I've voluntarily added a new bill to the pile: health insurance! I can finally afford health insurance!

There hasn't been any one project that has taken off. Instead, everything has been improving little by little. The gigs have been coming steadily since last November. My student roster has been slowly growing. My church job is only quarter time, but having a steady check has helped immensely, and there seems to be some support for increasing my hours at the start of the next church year.

I'm not setting the world on fire, but I have a few burners going. As long as I'm earning enough to be comfortable doing what I love, that's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment